Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Revolution

Thursdays are always my longest days. To kick start all the business, I threw together a carrot, some peanut butter, some oatmeal, milk, yogurt, and a orange for a morning smoothie. I definitely can't say this was the best combination... but it wasn't too bad.





Last night I was finally able to catch up on my neglected television shows. I was so happy when one of my favorites-- Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution-- started a new season right here in LA. Basically, Jamie tries to revolutionize the horrid school lunch provided by the county government into healthy, wholesome meals. 





Okay, so you might not take him seriously in this pic but it was funny. 


Anyways, the information that he provides (both LA's and Huntington, AL?'s school system) is absolutely shocking. You would think that with the increase in childhood obesity which leads to heart complications, diabetes, etc, schools would be more conscious in what they feed their children. I think he worked miracles in Season 1 so I have high hopes for the LA edition.


In addition to revolutionizing the school system, Jamie takes on a local favorite-- Patra's Burgers-- to convert this ordinary fast food into a place that serves more nutritious items. However, the restaurant owner Deno was pretty reluctant to change his menu from the 800-1500 calorie mystery meat burger (although, his patrons seem to all enjoy their meals) to Jamie's healthified 450 calorie real meat angus burger...


Patra's Original Burger (from Yelp)


















Jamie's Southern California Burger
Deno-- really? You don't want this on your menu?

Jamie also conjured up two other succulent burgers (all served with a side salad) for only $4.98-- which is comparable to Patra's most expensive combo... Maybe it's because I eat on campus where $7 for a sandwich is consider a great price. Maybe because it's selling in Los Angeles where restaurant prepared meals are really expensive... but I think $4.98 is dirt cheap for a 100% wholesome angus burger, with sprouts, homemade salsa, homemade chipotle sauce, and a side salad. 

I mean just look at it! Which one would you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment